Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Sky's the Limit!

When we first started thinking about doing our 52 weeks of new I had a trip to Mexico already planned. I knew exactly what I would do for my week while in Mexico.

I was going Para sailing!

This sounded so exciting!  So fun!  So-not-me!   Since having children the roller coaster riding, airplane loving person I once was has disappeared.  The whole point of this project is to step out of our comfort zones and to show my children that we really can do anything we want....even if it scares us.

I was in Mexico for Scentsy Leadership and I traveled without my husband.  So this was all on me.  Oh me and my big mouth!

On Friday of last week at 8:30am just before we needed to leave for the airport to come home we headed to the beach.  I had recruited another Scentsy Sister to do this with me. Paola was excited and got my excitement going.  At the resort we were at you need to have two people to go up at once.  The seat looked like a chairlift from a ski hill.

The boat took us a little off from shore and they took the parachute out and the high winds swept it up into the sky easily.  We were helped into the chair and before I knew it we were being lifted in the air.  That's when my panic set in.  I asked where the seat belt was....no seat belt.  NO SEAT BELT!!??
At that point I wanted to wave my arms like the driver had instructed us to if we wanted to end the ride.  But I didn't.  I knew I had to experience this no matter how much my right leg twitched from nervousness or how white my hand was from squeezing the bar so I wouldn't fall out. For the record I couldn't have fallen out.  The force of the wind going through the chute pushes you back making it nearly impossible to lean forward.

For 15 minutes we were taken along the coast.  We looked out over the ocean and saw waves breaking on the reef.  We looked across Cancun and saw the city rising up in the distance.  It was so quiet.  It was just Paola and I alone above the earth...way above.

Before the ride had started our driver asked if we wanted to get wet at the end.  Not knowing what that entailed our answer was "sure, sign us up!"  As the ride was coming to an end we started talking about the logistics of getting wet while we were still so high up.  As we were brought in we started to form an idea of how this was going to play out.

I'm not exactly sure how high were were from the water but I'm going to guess 20-30 feet.  The boat stopped and we free fell into the COLD water.  What a rush!  It was so cool.  Great way to end the ride....but wait!  He started the boat again and up we went.  He dropped us again.  HAHA!  That was fun....cheque please!   He started the boat up again and I realized we were going to be dunked for a third time.  I really wanted to wave my arms and call it quits, but I didn't.  The third dunk really was the most fun.  It was also a cue that the ride was over.  Get me on that boat!

As we took the quick ride back to shore we laughed at how great the whole experience was.  Sure, I can say that now...I'm on the boat and not being dragged behind it!

I thank Paola for coming along with me on this experience.  It really was a rush and a great time.  Would I do it again?  Uhm, why do I need to?  I've already experienced it, thanks!  Also, a big Thank You to Jennifer who watched us safely from shore and took pictures for us.  You were our cheerleader and we appreciate it!

In our decision to do 52 new things this year we knew some would be simple and some would be a little over the top.  I chose to do Para sailing this week because it really scared me.  I had to give up control and those who know me, know....I hate giving up control.  It also taught me that I control my fears and if I let it be the other way around I might miss out on some really cool experiences.




No comments:

Post a Comment